Okaaaaaay. This post has been in the works for like uh, 2 months?? Procrastination station over here.
I knew I missed blogging when I started updating my facebook status with the food I was eating
So I’m back! I think anyways. I’ve know I’ve sure said that before!
First of all, thank you soo much for all your congrats on the baby. It really means a lot to me! And I can’t believe that I am going to be 6 months tomorrow! So crazy but soo exciting
5 1/2 months
I know most people have a story about how they planned their pregnancy with their spouse, tried a bunch of times, or something of that nature but that is not my scoop at all. Andrew and I had just started talking about marriage when I took that pregnancy test. When it came back positive we both kind of laughed awkwardly…..and then I burst into tears. I think I cried that whole day. I called my mom to tell her the news and she said “You can cry today. But tomorrow be happy, you’re going to be a mom”. She’s kind of a smart lady :)
Anyways, I had never really read anything about pregnancy/babies before and started to feel reeeeeally overwhelmed. The biggest being money. We had been trying to get a renter in our basement suite for a month or two and nothing was working out (huge headache, LOTS of weirdos) and even though we bought our house completely renovated we still had/have an entire nursery to furnish! I had no idea how expensive baby stuff could be until I started doing some online window shopping. NUUUUUTS. We have rented out our basement suite now and it’s definitely been a huge relief.
So I thought I’d write down a few things that I have learned being pregnant so far. I know this won’t interest everyone but I swear I wish someone would have told me all the crazy things to expect <—for me anyways.
- morning sickness is real. Like beyond real. From weeks 7-11 I pretty much spent the entire time on the couch. Minus a week I spent in Charlotte, NC. I spent that week laying in bed until noon and then eating soda crackers and water trying not to throw up while shopping with my mom and aunt. THANK GOD I was on holidays from work.
- you won’t care where you throw up or who sees you throwing up. I puked on the plane in Minneapolis and then again in Charlotte. And then in the car at Andrew’s nephew’s baptism. Oh and many bathrooms. TMI? It’s like having the flu for a month. Or maybe even food poisoning. Uuuughh.
- food aversions are also very real. Included on my shit list was peanut butter, chocolate, COCONUT, eggs, any kind of veggie, salads, basically anything with nutritional value or green in color. The only thing I wanted to eat was bagels with cream cheese, pasta, alphaghetti (cans and cans), takeout anything, broccoli and cheese rice, SOUP, cheezies, gummy worms and pickles. Uncontrollable.
- totally forgetting what it’s like to work out. I had an energy level of about a 2 out of 10. Naps were mandatory, even after spending the day doing nothing.
- being completely batshit crazy. I needed to make Andrew about 100 of these:
Not joking at all either. I probably should of made a few for my family as well.
- awkward fat 4 months. My clothes stopped fitting and maternity clothes looked awful. I felt like I woke up one day and had gained 10 lbs. In my stomach. Lululemon has been amazing.
- big boobs. Woke up with those, too. It’s like dressing a shelf. Definitely love/hate.
Second Trimester (so far at 24 weeks)
- feeling normal again! Yaaay!! Work has been a trillion times easier but I did modify my night shifts – I still work 7am – 7pm for two days and then 7pm – 4am for two nights. So so glad my job is accommodating.
- a real pregnant belly! Oh yes…clothes look cute again! And thankfully Andrew’s sister-in-law has lent me ton of maternity clothes so I didn’t have to go out and spend a fortune on new clothes!
- really starting to enjoy being pregnant. I am so much more comfortable with how I look now and it’s so cute how excited Andrew is getting. He also loves the belly
- still having crazy cravings. I woke up one morning and could not get shrimp or banana bread out of my head. Obviously not together but I definitely made both that day. BTW, mama peas banana bread (subbing greek yog for Earth Balance) is so bomb. I think I ate half the loaf the first night. And it freezes really well, too.
- nightmares. Terrifying nightmares. All the time. And when I fall back asleep I fall right back into them. Needless to say, I haven’t been getting very much sleep. BUT I did dream about melty chocolate chips cookies the other night
- acneeeeee. I look like I’m going through puberty again. No cute prego glow here. I never had perfect skin before but now it’s hormonal and random. Arms? Back? Face? Sure.
- feeling the baby kick. best feeling ever. Same with hearing the heartbeat.❤
I obviously don’t have too many pictures (I finally took my camera out this week….) so I only have a couple food photos!
mixed greens with marinated tofu and mushrooms, bean salad, pasta salad and crumbled goat cheese
pumpkin bread pudding pancakes with lots of maple syrup and butter
chickpea flour pancake, 2 eggs, avocado, salsa and white cheddar (my breakfast 6 out of 7 days, plus or minus some greens or veggie sausages)
Fresh strawberries with greek yogurt and lots of chia seeds
cupcakes! mini chocolate with rose buttercream
hot chocolate almond milk with marshmallows
If you made it through this wordy post – congratulations! I have been having a really hard time trying to figure out what to do with my blog. I don’t know if I should just keep it as it is and keep the baby posts with the regular posts or to make a separate section so you don’t have to read about my pregnancy if you don’t want to. Any ideas?
I still have a million things to tell you (it has been three months since I blogged!!) but I don’t want to put you to sleep😉
Talk to you soon!